Sunday 26 January 2014

The Sunday Post (#34) and Showcase Sunday (#20)


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, and Showcase Sunday is hosted by Books, Biscuits and Tea and inspired by Pop Culture Junkie and the Story Siren. They're a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week on your blog, highlight our newest books and see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, or bought.


It's been a busy week, with lots of meetings, so I've acquired quite a few books. But first, here's (what little) has been happening on my blog.

Book review: Storm and Stone by Joss Stirling
Book review: A Lovely Way to Burn by Louise Welsh

Added to my shelves

Most of my stuff this week comes from Little, Brown and its various imprints. 

First up, I met with two of the editors from the Virago, Abacus and Blackfriars imprints. They gave me:
The Fields by Kevin Maher
Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon.Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage. by Rob Delaney
The Walk Home by Rachel Seiffert
Never Mind Miss Fox by Olivia Glazbrook
The Pink Suit by Nicole Mary Kelby
The Spring of Kasper Meier by Ben Fergusson
Friendship by Emily Gould






From the same people I also got The May Bride by Suzannah Dunn, which I'm showing separately because the cover is beautiful (although you can't tell from my rubbish picture!).


From the guys at Orbit, I got The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North, which looks like it'll be a genre-busting novel, and I also got Blood Song by Anthony Ryan, the first in an epic fantasy series.


And finally from Little, Brown, I got sent Salvage by Keren David, which looks like a great YA novel.



And last but not least, I picked up a couple of books from the spare books room at work. 


First up is Oksa Pollock: The Forest of Lost Souls by Cendrine Wolf. This series is being billed as a French adventure series to rival Harry Potter, with a plucky heroine. This is the second book in the series, I need to get my hands on the first.
And I also picked up Jojo Moyes The One Plus One, which I've been hearing so much about. I read a couple of chapters on the train on the way home from work, and am enjoying it so far.







What have you added to your shelves?




20 comments:

  1. Oh wow what a haul! I love the look of Blood Song and Salvage, I really want to read the latter. The May Bride looks good, too, love the cover!
    Awesome books, enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only when I came to put this post together that I realised how much I'd gathered over the past week!

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Wow...nice haul! I really want to read JoJo Moyes! I've heard great things about her books! Happy reading!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, so I'm looking forward to digging into The One Plus One.

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Nice haul this week. Happy reading, I hope they are all really good.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent haul! Those Orbit books look interesting. I'll have to check them out. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Oksa Pollock looks good, and sounds like a promising series too. Could use a good new YA fantasy series... hope your books are all good this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grabbed the Oksa Pollock because I'd read an article about it, and it sounds really interesting. Especially the fact that it's written by two women who initially, I think, self-published.

      Sarah

      Delete
  6. Friendship catches my attention, hope its a good read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm halfway through Friendship, and it's good so far.

      Sarah

      Delete
  7. Quite a bit added to your shelf, that TBR pile ever growing. Salvage looks interesting. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I'm running out of room to put all these books!

      Sarah

      Delete
  8. Blood song looks amazing, hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to set aside a good amount of time to read Blood Song!

      Sarah

      Delete
  9. That's so cool that you met with editors! What a great haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of my job, but I still find it really exciting (and a bit intimidating).

      Sarah

      Delete
  10. The Fields' cover reminds me of Billy Elliot for some reason - I've seen this one quite a lot on Twitter so I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's got that coming of age story look, but in quite a gritty way. I'll definitely let you know what I think when I get round to reading it!

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...