Saturday 31 August 2013

My week in books (#7)


My week in books is a feature where I share things I've found interesting from the past week that concern books, literature and all things book blogging.


If you were 16 again and ordered by teachers to read this summer, what titles would you be unlocking on your Kindle or Nook? That's the question being answered here in an AARP post about reading lists for 2013. Let me know what you read/are reading at school in the comments.

You can't choose your own family, but you can definitely choose the fictional ones you hang out with. Here, author Jeremy Strong picks his top 10 funniest fictional families (yes to Matilda's weird family and to the Funnybones!).

You might have heard about the new Library of Birmingham. Rather than cutting back on library services, the city has invested millions in a huge building to house books and computers and DVDs and all sorts of other things. It opens on September 3, but you can take a peek here now.

Lisa Tuttle writes in The Guardian here about her favourite fantasy novels for 'people who don't like dragons or sexy vampires'! 

Vicky over at Books, Biscuits and Tea posted a review here of a cute Kindle cover that looks like the cover of a Jane Auten novel.

And finally, this week we lost another literary great - Seamus Heaney. His publishers, Faber, released a statement here, and they also published Digging, the opening poem from the first collection they published of his, Death of a Naturalist, here. Among my favourite lines by Heaney are the following, from The Cure at Troy (Heaney's version of Sophocles' Philoctetes), which seem a fitting way to end:
Human beings suffer,
they torture one another,
they get hurt and get hard.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited about the new Birmingham library - hoping to get into town and see it sometime this week, I've been waiting ages for it to open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't live anywhere near Birmingham, but if I ever find myself there, the library is top of my list of places to visit. Let me know what you think once you've been.

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...